By Duane Pemberton
Winery website: www.baronsv.com
Barons V is a small winery located in the “Warehouse District” in Woodenville Washington – it hasn’t been around too long and has already been generating a great deal of buzz amongst Seattle-area wine lovers. Its winemaker, Matt Loso, is no stranger to making wines that please the palate – he was the founder of the famous Matthews Estate Winery a number of years ago.
This bottle of vino uses grapes that are actually sourced from Napa valley and partially aged in concrete to create a very nice texture to the wine.
- Vineyards: Spring Mountain
- Appellation: 100% Napa Valley
- Grape Varieties: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Average Vine Age: 6 years
- Yields: 2.8 Tons /Acre
- Harvest dates: October 1st, 2011
- Barrel Type: 50% Stainless Steel & 50% French Oak
- Barrel Age: 1 year old
- Barrel Maker: Mixed
- Time in Barrel & Concrete: 4 Months
- Fining: Bentonite Clay
- Filtration: Sterile Filtration
- Alcohol (ethanol): 13.95 % by volume
- pH: 3.49
- Titratable Acidity: 5.8 g/L
- Free Sulfur Dioxide: 25 parts per million at bottling
- Total Production: 180 – 750mL x 12 cases
- Price: $22.00 / 750mL bottle
Nose: Fresh shell fish, a hint of grapefruit, kiwi, lemon zest and river stone.
Taste: A very clean-tasting Sauvignon Blanc that doesn’t have the typical “grassified” taste to it – sure there’s a hint of that but it’s not killing the wine at all. Nice fruit mid palate and finish make this a very good Sauvignon Blanc that pleases the palate and would go great with all kinds of shellfish or even poultry.