By Duane Pemberton
Winery website: www.doubleback.com
Drew Bledsoe – the famous NFL Quarterback – hails from Washington State so it’s no wonder why he’d have an interest in launching a winery project in Walla Walla. Along with long-time friend, Chris Figgins (Leonetti) – this 2009 Doubleback Cab represents a collaborative effort between Chris and Drew. It’s a highly sought-after wine, has a limited production with a huge following.
- Vineyard sources: Loess, Seven Hills, LeFore, Pepper Bridge
- Blend: 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot
- Cooperage: 50% new French oak and 50% neutral French oak barrels for 20 months
- Alcohol: 14.4%
- Bottling Date: 7/20/11
- Release Date: Early Spring 2012
- Cases Produced: 1600
- Hand-numbered sequentially packed 6-packs
- Retail price: $89
The vineyards are near the Seven Hills project, just outside of Milton-Freewater Oregon (still within the Walla Walla AVA).
Nose: Cherry cola. black rasberry, currant, kalamata olive, allspice, leather.
Taste: Cran-raisin, peppercorn, cherry cola and dark chocolate – good mid palate with a finish that lingers well but could use a bit more acidity to help balance the lush fruit.
W.E.P. Rating: 70%
How we rate: