By Duane Pemberton
Winery website: www.baronsv.com
Matt Loso’s kung-fu-like winemaking skills come through big-time in this delicious Cabernet Sauvignon, made from some of the best vineyards in the Columbia Valley.
- Vineyards: Conner Lee, Hedges Estate, Stillwater Creek, Belle Villa Vineyards
- Appellation: 100% Columbia Valley
- Grape Varieties: 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc
- Average Vine Age: 23 years
- Yields: 1.0 to 2.4 Tons/Acre
- Harvest dates: September 21st – October 30th, 2008
- Barrel Type: American Oak
- Barrel Age: 100% New
- Barrel Maker: A&K
- Time in Barrel: 22 Months
- Alcohol (ethanol): 14.5% by volume
- pH: 3.83
- Total Acidity: 6.9 g/L
- Total Production: 1158 – 750mL x 12 cases
- Price: $45.00 / 750mL bottle
Nose: Blackened cherries, raspberry, dark chocolate, cigar wrapper, cola and shoe polish.
Taste: This is an extraordinarily beautiful Cab that has tons of complexity in its cascading tidal wave of flavors. Good acids, tannin and finish make it a stellar wine and one the easily surpasses most from the likes of many California Cabs at more than twice its price. Excellent fruit up front that has plenty of “grip” across the mid palate that keep the wine drinking smooth all the way to the long finish. Drink now or hold for 10-12 years.