By Duane Pemberton
Winery website: http://www.justinwine.com
Justin Vineyards is one of the larger producers in the Paso Robles region of California and has created a very loyal following for its wines both locally and abroad. This Cab represents a good case for how this region can produce world-class Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Appellation: Paso Robles
- Barrel Aging: 18 months – 28% New American
- Fermentation: Stainless steel open-top and closed-top tanks, 15 days with UV40 yeast
- Pump-overs: Twice daily
- Maceration: 17 days including fermentation
- pH: 3.69
- Total Acidity: 0.62 g/100ml
- Average Brix at Harvest: 24.8° Brix
- Bottling Period: 4/9 -5/10/2012
- Release Date: 6/1/2012
- Price: $25
Nose: Beautiful notes of black raspberry, cinnamon, cola, peppercorn, cherry, Italian leather, tobacco, cocoa powder and spice.
Taste: A symphony of flavors, acids and tannins going on here. I get all the mentioned notes in the “nose”, translating into the flavors but its near-perfectly complimented by the acid and tannin. In fact, the harmony is liken to that of the Eagles singing “Seven Brides Road” - sublime. Easily one of the best cabs I’ve had in a long time, regardless of cost.