By Duane Pemberton
Winery website: http://baronsv.com/
Matt Loso – famous for helping to build Matthews Cellars in Woodinville Washington, is the winemaker for Barons V and this little blend proves that he hasn’t skipped a beat in his winemaking / blending ability.
- Vineyards: Conner Lee, Hedges Estate, Wallula Vineyard
- Appellation: Columbia Valley
- Grape Varieties: 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot
- Average Vine Age: 26 years
- Average Yields: 1.7 – 3.4 Tons /Acre
- Harvest dates: September 25th – October 20th, 2009
- Barrel Type: French Oak
- Barrel Age: 50% New, 50% Neutral
- Barrel Maker: Mixed
- Time in Barrel: 22 Months\
- Alcohol (ethanol): 14.3% by volume
- pH: 3.71
- Titratable Acidity: 5.7 g/L
- Total Production: 148 – 750mL x 12 cases
- Suggested Retail: $30.00 / 750mL bottle
- Release Date: March 2012
Nose: Dark choccolate, blueberry, peppercorn, leather glove, black cherry, plum, vanilla and a splash of oak.
Taste: This is a Washington wine that drinks as if it’s from Califronia – in a well-made kind of way. It has a beautiful combination of fruit, body and oak – yes oak but not in a bad way. In fact, once this wine opens up a bit its neauance of wine stays in check and presents a glass of wine that’s like a well-oiled machine. Fruit, tannin, acid and finish abound in spades – an easy purchase for $30.