By Duane Pemberton
& Sarah Bagdon
Winery website: http://www.vapianovineyards.com
Unfortunately, not too many producers make a Cabernet Franc – it’s either because they don’t have access to quality fruit or perhaps worry that not enough folks would buy it. Thankfully, Justin Wylie of Va Piano Vineyards has neither of those concerns as he has his own estate fruit and has no problems selling all he makes of this wonderful wine only to the winery’s wine club.
- Varietal Composition: 80% Cabernet Franc, 20% Merlot
- Vineyard Sources: Va Piano Vineyards Block 8 Cab Franc, Va Piano Vineyards Block 3 Merlot
- Appellation: Walla Walla Valley
- Oak Composition: 40% New French / 60% Neutral French
- Barrel Aging: 21 months
- Chemistry: Alcohol 14.4%
- pH 3.66
- TA .59g/100ml
- Case Production: 150 cases
- Price: $48
Nose: Black cherry, hazelnut, cigar wrapper, dark chocolate, cola and tar bubble.
Taste: Raisin fruit roll-up, mocha, pencil lead, match stick and dried blueberries. Firm tannins with a good acidity lead into an inviting finish that begs you for more. This is a new-world-style Cab Franc in that it doesn’t have the “veggie” action we tend to see from the old world. Lots of reach-around on this bottle – should age well for another 10 years or more.