By Duane Pemberton
- 1 whole chicken (4-5lb)
- 1 gallon of water
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dried chipotle peppers – ground fine
- 1/4 cup tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup tablespoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup of dried parsley
- 6 cloves of garlic – smashed
- 4 celery stalks (chopped or sliced)
- 1/2 lb of carrots – sliced or chopped
- 2 large onions – chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 leek – sliced lengthwise
- 1 handful of chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4lb of pasta (optional)
Fill large stock pot with water, add chicken, bay leaf, salt, pepper, dried parsley, garlic cloves, celery stalks, carrots, onions, cayenne and chipoltle pepper grounds.
Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for an hour – remove chicken from the pot, remove meat and then add the meat back into the pot and allow to slow simmer another 30 minutes. (This would also be the time to add in any kind of pasta you may want).
Roughly 10-minutes before serving soup, place the leek slices on a grill using high heat (grill pan also works), until nice and caramelized – then cut into thin slices.
Finish off the soup with the chopped parsley.
Wine pairing suggestions:
– Dry Gewurztraminer
– Dry Riesling
– Grüner Veltliner